Logotype is an emblem or a symbol of a company. In web design logotypes are a part of website graphics. Logotypes are used as a part of corporate image, usually on websites, signboards, business cards and other printed documents. A logotype can consist of letters, words, shapes, as well as any other graphical characters.
A good logotype is easy to understand, recognize and remember. Besides that, a good logotype illustrates the area of business activity, helping potential clients to intuitively find the company they need. Comparing to corporate colours and mottos, a logotype is easier to recognise, which is why they are considered to be the main part of a corporate style.
There is a number of logotype varieties:
- the first logotype - logotype development for a company without one. The materials used include corporate colours (if available), as well as elements to become the parts of the logotype, such as the name of the company, motto, geometrical shapes, etc.
- a reworked logotype - a renovation of an existing logotype with the aim of making it more modern and/or more relevant to the area of activity of the company. Depending on the situation a logotype can be reworked completely, but usually the main task is make a logotype more memorable and connected with the rest of the corporate image
Quality logotype advantages
A high-quality logotype provides the following advantages:
- makes a business recognizable on the market
- distinguishes companies amongst their competitors
- indicates that a company provides services in a certain business sector
- describes the ideology and working methods of a company